Have you ever received a small shock from your earbuds on a windy winter day or while jogging on a treadmill? And after examining the headphones for exposed wiring, nothing explains why you received a shock?
Remain calm – your headphones are not trying to zap 3rd grade math from your memory. While it is a rare occurrence, it is simply static electricity building up in your headphones.
The first time it happens it can be a little jarring, but we assure you no serious harm will come of it.
A headphone shock can occur when the headphone cord rubs against your clothing creating a small charge within the headphone. After enough time that charge can build up and possibly deliver a small shock in your ear.
There are also environmental factors that play into the static shock potential of headphones. If you’re in a dry, arid, windy or low-humidity environment, the chances of building a charge in your headphones are higher than normal.
There are a few things you can do to help prevent headphone shock:
Touching a piece of metal can ground you and prevent a headphone shock.
In the meantime, check out our amazing selection of headphones to keep you going, shock or no shock.
0 products selected to compare.